Skip to Content

Spouse contributions

Get set for a rewarding retirement, together

What are spouse contributions?

If your spouse earns less than you or is not currently working, they may be accumulating less or no super. The good news is that if you’re married or in a permanent de facto relationship, you may be able to help grow their super in a way that can benefit both of you.

Ready to make a spouse contribution?

A mother and daughter sharing some fruits.

How does it work?

If you make a spouse contribution, you can give their super a boost and may be eligible for a tax offset of up to $540 to help reduce your tax payable.

Are we eligible?

To qualify for the full offset of $540 in 2022/23, you need to contribute $3,000 or more into your spouse’s super and your spouse must earn1 $37,000 pa or less. A lower tax offset may be available if you contribute less than $3,000 or your spouse earns more than $37,000 pa, but less than $40,000 pa.

Is a spouse contribution right for us?

It could be, but first check that you’re eligible to contribute to super and that:

  • Your super cannot be accessed until you meet a condition of release such as reaching preservation age and retiring.
  • Visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website for more eligibility criteria.

Another way to boost your spouse’s super is by Contributing Splitting. Find out more by visiting the ATO’s website on contribution splitting.

We’re here to help

If you value the experience of experts in other aspects of your life, don't discount it when it comes to your financial wellbeing, including your super.

A financial adviser can help you identify ways to grow your super. So, start the conversation to see how a financial adviser can help you. If you don’t have one, give us a call and we can help you find one near you.

Consolidating your super by bringing it together in one place can be one of the most effective ways to grow your super, by no longer paying multiple fees and potentially multiple insurance premiums.

Voluntary contributions are money that you contribute into your super from your after-tax income or other money that you can invest. These are also known as non-concessional contributions.

If you can afford to give up some of your salary to grow your super, and your employer allows, you can arrange for ‘salary sacrifice’ contributions.

There’s a solution if you feel like you’ve missed the boat when it comes to building your retirement savings due to expenses or time-out raising kids, study or parents’ aged care.

If you’re a lower or middle-income earner, you might be eligible to receive a Government boost to your super.

The downsizer contribution allows eligible Australians aged 55 or older to sell their home and contribute up to $300,000 of the proceeds into their super.

Important information

The information on this web page is of general nature only and has been prepared on behalf of the Trustee without taking into account your objectives, financial circumstances or needs. Before acting on any of this information, you should consider whether it is appropriate to your objectives, financial circumstances and needs, and seek appropriate professional advice. You should not rely on this information to determine your personal tax obligations, please consult a registered tax agent for this purpose.

1Income for this purpose is assessable income, total reportable fringe benefits and reportable employer super contributions. Refer to for further information on income definitions.