Skip to Content

Government co-contributions


Get a super top-up from the Government.

How does it work?

If you make a personal after-tax contribution to your super, the Government may add up to $500 to your account. This is known as the 'Government co-contribution'.

May be suitable if…

You earn1 less than $58,445 p.a. in 2023/24, of which at least 10% comes from your job or a business.

What are the benefits?

  • Grow your super.
  • Receive a co-contribution of up to $500.

How is the co-contribution calculated?

  • To qualify for the maximum co-contribution of $500 in 2023/24 you need to contribute $1,000 and earn $43,445 or less.
  • You may receive a lower amount if you contribute less than $1,000 and/or earn between $43,445 and $58,445.

Case study

Ryan, aged 40, is employed and earns $40,000 p.a. He wants to build his retirement savings and can afford to invest $1,000 a year.

He decides to make a personal after-tax super contribution of $1,000. By using this strategy, he’ll qualify for a co-contribution of $500. That’s a return of 50% on the amount he invested.


Important things to consider

1 Includes assessable income, reportable fringe benefits and reportable employer super contributions.


Related content

How can I grow my super?


Got a question?

Get set in the right direction with help and guidance available over the phone, online or face-to-face.


General advice and information only

Any advice and information on this website is general only, and has been prepared without taking into account your particular circumstances and needs. Before acting on any advice on this website you should assess or seek advice on whether it is appropriate for your needs, financial situation and investment objectives.

Tax disclaimer

Any general tax information on this website is intended as a guide only and is based on our general understanding of taxation laws. It is not intended to be a substitute for specialised taxation advice or an assessment of your liabilities, obligations or claim entitlements that arise, or could arise, under taxation law, and we recommend you consult with a registered tax agent.