Skip to Content

Superannuation guarantee contributions


Superannuation guarantee contributions from your employer can help build your retirement nest egg.

How does it work?

Employers are generally required to contribute 9.5% of their employees’ ordinary time earnings into super. These are known as superannuation guarantee (SG) contributions.

SG contributions are pre-tax contributions. They are generally taxed at up to 15%1 in the fund, instead of your marginal tax rate of up to a maximum of 47%2.

The 9.5% is legislated to increase by 0.5% each year financial year from 1 July 2021 until it reaches 12% from 1 July 2025.

Is SG enough?

SG contributions can grow, along with earnings, to a sizeable sum of money over time. But you may still need more to achieve the lifestyle you want. To see whether you’re on track to funding your desired lifestyle, use our Retirement forecaster.

Important things to consider

1. Individuals with income from certain sources above $250,000 in 2020/21 will pay an additional 15% tax on superannuation guarantee and other concessional super contributions within the cap.

2. Includes Medicare levy.



What next?

Find out more about Super and retirement rules.



Got a question?

Get set in the right direction with help and guidance available over the phone, online or face-to-face.


General advice and information only

Any advice and information on this website is general only, and has been prepared without taking into account your particular circumstances and needs. Before acting on any advice on this website you should assess or seek advice on whether it is appropriate for your needs, financial situation and investment objectives.

Tax disclaimer

Any general tax information on this website is intended as a guide only and is based on our general understanding of taxation laws. It is not intended to be a substitute for specialised taxation advice or an assessment of your liabilities, obligations or claim entitlements that arise, or could arise, under taxation law, and we recommend you consult with a registered tax agent.